Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cleaning Up Kid Pee out of the Carpet

Yup, this is going to be the coolest subject matter I have covered yet.

I've got twins girls who are currently four years old.  I've been attempting to potty train them for just about two years now.  Let's just say that the potty training in three days thing didn't work for them.  Neither did rewards.  Neither did having them help clean up their mess.  Neither did getting upset.  Neither did putting them back in diapers.  You get where I'm going here? Nothing has worked for them.  Oh, just in case anyone wonders, doctor says they are fine.  So, while my darling little girls have been making incredibly slow progress, they have been making progress.  I used to clean up pee three times a day--on the good days.  Now I'm down to one mess every other day.  If I've learned anything other than extreme patience from this ordeal, it's how to clean pee out a carpet.  I'm sort of crazy about having things clean.  So, I've got this down to an art.  Allow me to share.  (Might I add that this sort of procedure works well to clean may different kids of liquid spills.)  There is no need to run out and buy a carpet cleaner... though you may want to after the potty-training ordeal is over.

Cleaning Your Kid's Pee out of the Carpet

What you'll need:
  •  3 old hand towels
  • About 1/2 cup water
  • Vinegar in a spray bottle
  • A peeing kid, wearing underwear

What you do:

 1. At an inopportune time, child will pee on the carpet.  Refrain from gasping.  The sooner you get it cleaned, the better.  Grab an old hand towel you don't care about.  Fold it up until it's in 3 to 4 layers.  place the towel on the pee.  Have your child step on it.  Or you can.  It just needs some weight to draw up the pee.
2. Next, rinse.  Remove the pee-soaked towel and pour some water over the affected area.  Use a clean towel to soak up the water in the same manner as stated above.  That's how you rinse.
3. Last, spray a healthy amount of vinegar on the area, place a towel over it and allow it to dry.  The vinegar will fight any lingering pee (ammonia) smell.

4. Cover the area with a clean towel until dry.  (Depending on the pungency of your kid's urine, you may need to repeat the rinsing and spraying of vinegar a couple of times.)

Last thoughts... If you have a kid or kids like mine who pee enough to drive you nuts, but not enough to do a load of laundry every day, I have found it helpful to set aside a hamper with a lid just for those clothes.  Since I cloth-diapered my twins, I had a wet bag which I used to line the hamper.  Sprinkling some baking soda in the hamper will keep the smell contained.  I even have my girls empty the hamper into the washer on wash days.  You'd think the terrible smell would encourage them to stop peeing, but it doesn't. 




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! This morning C either took his diaper off or it magically fell off, he peed next to his door, and went ballistic! I haven't even started potty training him yet, but I knew where to find how to clean it up. Now that I've done it once I think it's easy enough to remember. But I love being able to refer to your blog for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the joys of parenting. It's a good sign, I think that C went ballistic over it. Maybe he'll be a clean potty-trainer. But then, I've been wrong many times... :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.