Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Egg Subsitute Revisited

Sometime time ago I wrote a little blurb on egg substitutes.  Since then I have found one substitute I really like:  Milled Flax Seed.  While I was experimenting with different substitutes I learned quite quickly that what worked in one recipe didn't always work in the next, so that is why I have gravitated toward mill flax seed because it works in a variety of recipes. 

I use Hodgson Mill Milled Flax Seed.  It's in the the $3 range for a box. On the packaging it says that flax seed can be used as an egg substitute by using 1 tablespoon of flax seed plus three tablespoons of water.  This is where the experimenting begins.  Now, obviously this would not make good scrambled eggs, but I have found that it works great in cake, pancakes, muffins, and even my veggie burgers.  Some things to keep in mind is that since the milled flax seed is a dark brown, it will add some speckle to your food which if find quite pretty, and luckily my children haven't been bothered by.

Over the past year, milled flax seed has become a staple in my kitchen because:
  • It's got a great shelf life (one year)
  • It's a natural plant source of Omega-3 oils
  • It helps stretch my egg usage, so I can be one of those neighbors who always has an egg on hand for my neighbors.
  • Plus, if you've got any egg allergies in the family, now you can have your cake and eat it too!
BTW, according to my flax seed packaging, it can also be used to substitute oil and butter, though I haven't tried that since I am not concerned about the fat in my diet.


2 comments:

  1. Do you choose to keep it refrigerated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't... but I just read that the label says to refrigerate after opening. Good question! So, it's only good to keep on the shelf until you start using it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.