With Christmas fast approaching I've been looking at toys a lot. The internet has really simplified my shopping because I can read reviews of products before I buy them. It's also really helped me hunt down USA/American Made toys. Typically when I think of American made toys, I think of wooden ones. Now, wooden toys are quite nice for babies, but for older kids... blocks and puzzles aren't going to cut it. I'm going to highlight a few affordable favorites that I have found.
This Christmas I plan on buying some American made toys on purpose for my kids. I hope you will too!
10 Made in the USA Toys
for kids ages 5-10 (in no particular order)
1. Wikki Stix are a fun, reusable craft toy, great for quite play without a mess. Checkout the reviews at Amazon. Price: $8-30 www.wikkistix.com
2. Arrow Copters are flying toys that can be launched high, I mean HIGH, into the air. Read reviews at Amazon. Price: $10 http://www.arrowcopter.com
3. Shrinky Dinks are a fun craft toy for boys and girls. (These have been around for years, and their simplicity is what I think keeps them around!) Design and color and then place in oven to shrink. Price: starting at $5 http://www.shrinkydinks.com/
4. K'nex building set - My 8 year old son LOVES these (girls love them too). I love the expandability of these toys. With the option to put on motor on his contraptions, it will be a long time before he outgrows these. Plus, they are compatible with Legos bricks. (Some special pieces may be made in China.) Price: $20.00 and up www.knex.com
5. ZingWing- Model airplane toys. Kids and adults alike dig flying toys! These look like quite a bit of fun, though I haven't actually found a lot of reviews on them. I contacted the company and learned that some of their models are made in the USA while others are in China. Price: $1.99 and up http://zingwing.com/models.html
These four models are made in the USA:
http://zingwing.com/diperdo.html http://zingwing.com/zingwing.html http://zingwing.com/zoomerang.html http://zingwing.com/maxair.html*A reprsentative from the company says they plan on moving production back to the USA in a few months. I hope that happens and goes well for them.
6. Lauri Toys Tangrams Plus - (Lauri Toys makes lots of toy puzzles for younger kids as well, all made in the USA). This is a nice puzzle toy with lots of puzzle cards to stimulate a young mind. Read Reviews at Amazon.com. Price: $10
7. Silly Putty: Don't forget this time-tested favorite! I recently saw silly putty on sale at Target for $1. Makes a great stocking stuffer or party favor. http://www.sillyputty.com/
8. Slinky: Okay, here's another kid pleaser. When I think of a slinky, I think of a crumpled up one that I can't get undone... that's what happens when you give them to kids under 4. But, older kids really like these. Don't be fooled by the dollar store, Chinese-Made imitations, though. The original slinky is much better quality. Price: $2.50 and up http://www.poof-slinky.com/
9. Books: Thank goodness we still print books in the USA! And, you can find these with little effort. I recently bought a Disney Princess Paperdoll set for my daughter and a novel for my son that were both printed in the USA. Price: varies
10. Yo Baby Kick Flipper: This is a great toy that gets kids moving. It's like a skateboard without wheels. You have to see it to understand it. Includes a DVD for instruction. Price: $15 www.fatbraintoys.com/specials/made_in_america.cfm
For Even more great Made in America toy gift ideas, visit: http://www.fatbraintoys.com/specials/made_in_america.cfm