Monday, October 3, 2011

EEK! Bead stuck in Toddler's Nose!

I've been meaning to write about this embarrassing/funny/crazy/disgusting experience for some time now.  It happened a few months ago.  I was pretty exhausted and was trying to get the kids in bed on the fast track.  We did a haphazard clean up of the room and I then proceded to tuck the kids in bed. Upon tucking the twins in, I noticed that one had a little bead, about a 1/4 inch in diameter in her had.  It was from her older sister's bead necklace set that evidently didn't get put away.  My sweet daughter wanted to keep it and was treating it like a treasure, so against my better judgement, I let her keep it with her.  Bad mommy, I know.

I didn't even have time to get downstairs after tucking the kids in when I heard my daughter crying.  I couldn't understand what she was crying about, but I knew what she was crying about.  I knew she had stuck that bead up her nose... because she likes puzzles and a bead in the nose is an absolute perfect fit.  As I surveyed the situation I could see that the bead was "up there" pretty far... out of the reach of a tweezer for sure.  Well, I've been a bad mom before, so this wasn't the first time an object had been lodged in a child's nose under my supervision.  When my older daughter stuck a crayon up her nose I closed her clean nostril with my finger and instructed her to pretend like she was blowing her nose.  Out it popped.  I wasn't sure if it would work on this child because she's younger and not too good at blowing her nose.  We tried, and sure enough, it didn't work.

No way was I going to take the kid to the ER on a Saturday night for a bead in her nose.  So, I Googled my way to safety.  Don't try rigging your shop vac with a small enough attachment to get the object out of the kid's nose.  I know.  I tried. My daughter was too squirmy and afraid of the shop vac's loud sound.  As a result, she was afraid of any vacuum for a couple of weeks afterward.  Every time I turned one on she'd plead, "Don't vacuum me up!"  Bad mommy.

Next, I read the following from a babycenter.com article:

How will the doctor get it out?

The doctor will look in your child's ear or nose, and then decide how best to proceed. There are a number of techniques and tools that she may use.
She may block one nostril and have your child try to blow his nose. If he can't, she may have you cover your child's mouth with your own and give a short, quick breath to dislodge the object as she closes one of your child's nostrils.
She may instead use small, tweezer-like forceps or a suction machine to remove the object. (If there's an insect in your toddler's ear, she may use mineral oil to suffocate the insect first.) If the object is metal, she may be able to use a magnet to remove it.

After the object is out, she'll look in your child's ear or nose again to make sure there's nothing else in there. She may prescribe nose or ear drops or antibiotic ointment to nip any infection.

I figured that as disgusting as it sounded, I would try blowing the bead out of my child's nose.  I held my terrified little girl (remember, I had just tried to vacuum her up) in my lap.  I closed her clear nostril.  I told her that I was going to give her a "kiss."  The first time I blew into her mouth, I didn't use much force because I was worried to hurt her so the bead didn't come out, but it had moved a bit.  The second time, I sent a little more force behind the blow and the snotty bead shot out of her mouth and into mine I was pulling away from her face.  It was that fast.  It was so disgusting we just had to laugh.

So, if this happens to you, you might want to try this before you go to the ER.  Have fun!

4 comments:

  1. You told me this story before, but I knew I had to read it for a good laugh! "mommy don't vacuum me up!" hahahaha...Glad you were able to save yourself a doctor's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the funniest thing about this is the day after I write this post, I'm making some soup in the kitchen. The other twin is playing this the veggies that I have in the pot. I had just put in some frozen peas and was at the counter cutting carrots when I hear: "Mommy, Can you get this out?" Sure enough, frozen pea way up there in her nose. After trying to have her blow it out, I proceeded to blow in her mouth. It popped right out. Twinner smiled at me and I went back to work cutting carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the opportunity to blow something out of Veronica's nose. Thank you for posting before that happened. I knew just what to do. I think Ryan was impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess if you have kids, this is bound to happen sooner or later, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.