Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What CAN I Drink Out Of?


Once plastic was seen as a miracle invention. Now with news of BPA and other harmful substances that can leach out of plastics the consumer is left to wonder what to do next. Buy the latest miracle invention?... And in 20 years they'll find something bad about that. It's just how it is. There is a side effect to every great advance.

As a result of rearing four children, I recently found my supply of mugs and glasses running low. Tired of cleaning up the remnants of broken beverage containers too often, I was really hoping to buy something a bit more kid-proof this time around. I figured I'd go with plastic, but with the recent buzz over BPA, I was having second thoughts. Yeah, I know that living causes cancer, but if I can try to prevent it with the knowledge available, provided it won't break the bank, I'll do it. So I searched for PBA-free plastic tumblers. There is BPA free plastic... but the cost is relatively steep, in my opinion for something that hasn't withstood the test of time yet.

Then I revisited tried and true glass. I had written glass off initially because, well, it breaks. But, not all glass does. And it has withstood the test of time. My answer? Duralex Glasses. French. Heat treated/tempered. Very durable. I Ordered twelve 8.75 oz. cups. They are nice and heavy. Great for everyday. Love how they are shaped- good for dunking cookies. Easy to hold. I'm going to order some 12 oz. ones too. They are great in the dishwasher, come out dry and without any little pools of water on the bottom. Duralex makes bowls and plates too...

Also check out: http://www.zoebonline.com/kidishes-kid-friendly-tempered-glass-duralex.html

3 comments:

  1. We're going lighter on plastic around here too. I'm all interested in the glass straws. Not interested enough to buy so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of glass straws! Sound really easy to break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nev can only drink out of a wide rimmed glass cup, she spills every time with the plastic cups. But she uses them for playing kitchen now that we've DI'd (not a real word I realize) our old play kitchen in attempts to slim down for the move.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.