Monday, September 27, 2010

Cooking Bacon on the Waffle Iron

A few months ago I watched a video where Chef Alton Brown cooked his bacon on a waffle iron. I figured this was a pretty ingenious idea. I tried it.

Previously, I had been cooking my bacon in the oven on a roll pan/cookie sheet. The downside to this method is that you have to have a pretty hot oven (heats up the whole house, which is not ideal in the summer) and you have to turn the bacon over half way through cooking it. The more contact I have with a hot oven, the more likely I am to burn myself somehow. Oh, and while the bacon cooks, it wallows in its own fat. Turns out pretty tasty, but I was open to finding a better way to cook bacon.

So, the first time I tried cooking bacon with Alton's waffle iron method, I used my Black & Decker Waffle Iron/Grill. I didn't put the grill on a cookie sheet when I cooked the bacon as Alton Brown does in his video... and my counter wasn't exactly 100% level, so the grease went the path of least resistance and made a mess all over my counter, not to mention making a huge mess out of my waffle iron! I figured I'd go back to cooking bacon in the oven.


But, my stubborn streak forced me to try it again a while later. This time, I placed a cookie sheet under my grill and securely propped up the grill in the back against the rim of the cookie sheet so that the grease would collect in the right direction. My results were much better. Good enough that this is now my preferred bacon cooking method. I think this would work great with a George Foreman Grill as well. Though I don't have one, so I don't know. In the above pictures I'm cooking turkey bacon so there is minimal fat. I can cook about 4 strips at a time and it only takes about 2-3 minutes to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.