Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Learning More About Making Yogurt

I've been making my own yogurt on and off for several years. But just recently I learned to make vanilla yogurt in a way that my family particularly likes. So, I've been making it even more.

And I started to have some questions:
  • How is yogurt culture made to begin with?
  • Why does my yogurt start only last for 4-5 batches of yogurt... and then other times it lasts much longer?
  • Can I freeze yogurt start and then use it later?
And I have found some answers:
  • How is yogurt culture made to begin with? Well, I did a few Google searches on this and I have no idea still. If anyone actually knows, please comment!
  • I learned that the reason my start sometimes lasted longer than other times had to do with how often I was making yogurt/"feeding" the start. When I make it daily, the start lasts a long, long time. When I make it every other day, it lasts about 2 weeks.
  • Yes, you can freeze your yogurt start for up to a month or so. I froze mine while we were off on vacation and made yogurt with it after we got home. I let it thaw and then made yogurt as usual. It turned out great.
I've got terrible allergies this time of year and learned that milk products don't help. So, I've been cutting back on my dairy consumption. But I learned that yogurt is something I don't want to give up. Here's an informative article about the health benefits (which are many) for yogurt.

And here's a really good article about yogurt making, complete with troubleshooting tips:

Why Yogurt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.