And I started to have some questions:
- How is yogurt culture made to begin with?
- Why does my yogurt start only last for 4-5 batches of yogurt... and then other times it lasts much longer?
- Can I freeze yogurt start and then use it later?
- How is yogurt culture made to begin with? Well, I did a few Google searches on this and I have no idea still. If anyone actually knows, please comment!
- I learned that the reason my start sometimes lasted longer than other times had to do with how often I was making yogurt/"feeding" the start. When I make it daily, the start lasts a long, long time. When I make it every other day, it lasts about 2 weeks.
- Yes, you can freeze your yogurt start for up to a month or so. I froze mine while we were off on vacation and made yogurt with it after we got home. I let it thaw and then made yogurt as usual. It turned out great.
And here's a really good article about yogurt making, complete with troubleshooting tips: