Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How to Adjust Your Own Glasses

As quirky as it may sound to learn to adjust your own eyeglasses, there are some definite advantages to this skill. Glasses almost always get bent out of shape on a weekend or sometime when you can't get to the eye doctor to get them fixed. Or, sometimes even though you have had your glasses professionally adjusted, they just don't fit right. Wouldn't it be great to know how to do it yourself? Sure.

Here's how I did it:

First, I Googled "how to adjust eyeglasses." From my reading I learned that metal frames are the easiest to adjust on your own. That's what I have. I also learned that a hair dryer comes in handy when adjusting the plastic coated ear pieces. Holding the ear piece under a hair dryer for a few seconds (10-15) can help soften the plastic so that it will bend without cracking.

Here are the tools needed:
  • Needle nose pliers
  • screw driver (small ones... you can buy small screwdriver kits at many dollar stores)
  • soft cloth (fleece worked great for me)
  • hair dryer
  • Your old glasses to use as a guide
1. If you have a pair of old glasses that fit right, compare them to your new glasses to determine where the adjustments need to be made.

2. Generally speaking, with metal frames, you can make them wider or narrower by carefully adjusting them with your hands.

3. For the nose pieces, you may feel most comfortable removing the plastic pads with a screw so you won't have to worry about breaking them while you adjust the metal piece of the nose pieces. For the metal pieces, I used a small fleece scrap and put it in between the needle nose pliers and the glasses so that I would protect the glasses' paint job. After adjusting the metal part of the nose piece, put the plastic nose pads in. (I didn't remove my nose pads to do this adjustment because I was willing to take a risk...)

4. For the ear pieces, which are often coated with a plastic coating, hold them under a hair dryer (on, of course) for a few seconds until the plastic is warm. Adjust as needed.

This being my first time adjusting my own glasses, it took me a few tries to get them just how I wanted them. There was a lot of trying on and taking off. But now, if I had to do it again, I could be much faster.

2 comments:

  1. this REALLY DOESNT elp AT ALL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. What exactly doesn't make sense?

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.