Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Get Your Sample Ballot Now

I think a lot of people don't bother voting because they feel like it's a test that they don't get to see in full until they are in the voting booth. Then, you're standing there reading all the wordy political mumbo-jumbo, feeling like the world depends on your "right" answer, but you don't have the resources available in that booth to make the best decision. But, it doesn't have to be that way. Make your vote an open book test. Get a sample ballot.

How? For most places, you can Google your county's name along with "sample ballot." And, if your county is tech savvy enough (I sure hope so) they have it available from the clerk and recorder's website for download. If not, call your clerk and recorder's office and request one. Many newspapers also put out an election issue which sometimes includes a sample ballot as well. But who subscribes to those anymore? (I'm joking here. I know a lot of people still do, but I don't.)

I like to print off a sample ballot a couple of weeks before an election and fill it in as I research anything I'm not sure about. The internet is a great way to help me find in formation for and against different proposals. After I fill in the ballot, I take my cheat sheet with me on election day and use it to fill in the real ballot. No more walking out of the election booth feeling unsure about my "answers."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.