Monday, July 12, 2010

Ooma, Free VOIP Phone Service: Part 3

So, I've got my phone number ported to Ooma. My phone company has closed my account associated with my phone service. I'm ready to distribute the Ooma dial-tone to all the phone jacks in my house.

DISCLAIMER: The easiest way to use Ooma on multiple phones would be to buy a phone with multiple handsets (if you don't have one already). Hook the base phone up to Ooma and put your other handsets where you need them. No wiring issues and line splitters. But, if you are stubborn like me and want the phone jacks to work with Ooma, read on:

First, Ooma has very little information on this issue. Here is a link to their official support on this. I do suggest that Ooma users/future users look at this first so they can formulate what questions they will yet have.

As I have said in other posts, I have DSL for my internet. Ooma doesn't offer a lot of help to someone on this. I don't recommend trying to call customer service for this issue. The Ooma forums are much better. Real Ooma users who speak and write English can help there. It's quite helpful.

In the end, My husband invited his tech-savvy friend over to open our phone box and mess with the wires to get it to work. We had a home-run line straight from our phone box (outside) to our computer. So, we had to do some wiring in our phone box and I don't get how they did it. Sorry. But it works now!

1 comment:

  1. Ooma is basically a residential voip service provider. I would advise them to come to the business voip also. As we all know customer support service has become inevitable for every business now a days therefore, business voip providers are earning beyond their expectations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.