Monday, May 10, 2010

Mothers Day: Likes and Dislikes

My Mothers Day irises, I picked for myself from my yard on my crinkly vinyl tablecloth. Now, to my husband's credit, he did buy me a pretty periwinkle plant.

Things I like about Mothers Day:
  • It's nice to have a day to recognize mothers/women.
  • It's nice to have a reminder that I'm long over-due for thanking my Mom for all she does.
Things I Don't Like About Mothers Day:
  • Though unintended, it seems to separate women who have children from those who don't.
  • I don't like that some women expect to take the day "off." How can you take the day off from being a Mom? A little extra help is nice, a flower, a card... but, really, is there such thing as a day off?
  • I don't like how I feel that I have to be an extra good mother on the day... which is nigh to impossible when 18 month old pours the juice from breakfast all over the floor and then demands a diaper change while the other 18 month old wants to play in the juice.
Other Thoughts

To me, all women should be celebrated on Mothers day. I can think of many women, old and young that influenced me throughout my life. Some had children, some did not. But they had a mothering influence on me. And I try not to have dorky expectations for myself about being a perfect mother... since I'm aware that the popular idea of perfection is not perfection.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.