Monday, May 17, 2010

The Benefits of Customer Service Via Chats

I've been spending more time than usual with costumer service of various internet/phone companies. I'm in the midst of a switch. The switch being: Dumping my landline, in place of VOIP using Ooma and keeping a standalone DSL connection through my phone company. (I'll write more on my Ooma experience later.)

In the past, when I needed to contact my phone company (not to name any names: Qwest), It meant:

  • Listening to silly touch tone menus
  • Being put on hold for no predetermined amount of time
  • Talking to someone with an accent that sometimes was difficult for me to understand, not to mention what a hard time they have understanding me...
  • Walking around with a phone glued to my ear while I try to get other things done with the background noise of my lovely children
  • Finding it difficult to get a word in before the service representative commenced to tell me how to fix a problem they didn't yet fully understand
I decided to try out the costumer service chat option via my phone company's website. I love that:
  • Although I still have to wait, I can have both hands free and no phone glued to my ear while I wait
  • There's no such thing as awkward silence when chatting. It's okay if I don't respond to the service representative right away... I have time to think and formulate my questions and responses
  • The tone of voice and emotion of both people gets taken out of the communication
  • I feel a bit more brave to demand the service I want
  • While I'm sure that much of the costumer service is still foreign, there is less of a language barrier
  • I can say what I want to say without being cut off
  • Even though they may try to tell me I need to call customer service, I've found that if I hold my ground, they will answer my questions through the chat instead
I'm learning quickly that I prefer online customer service chats. So long as the company I'm dealing with offers this service, and my web connection isn't down, this is the way to go!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Steph here from Qwest,

    I can definitely say having a chat or email option with a company is my preference as well. I did want to let you know if you ever need additional assistance with anything Qwest, please feel free to email us at talktous@qwest.com or find us on twitter at http://twitter.com/TalkToQwest

    Thank you

    Steph Lake
    Manager, Talk To Qwest Team


    "At Qwest your account information is confidential and protected by law, so I need your permission to access the account.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think it's funny how quickly reps from companies comment on blog posts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.