Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How to Preheat Oven Faster

Ideally we preheat our ovens while we're mixing or preparing the food. But there are those times when we just forget and/or are short on time. So, here's a tip to cut oven preheat time in half... at least.

1. Turn on oven to broil.
2. Set timer for 3-5 minutes. (depends on your oven and how hot you want it to get)
3. After timer goes off, take off broil and set oven at desired temperature. Oven should give you the signal (beeping, or a light) within a few seconds to let you know that it is preheated.

Easy as that. My oven preheats in about 10-15 minutes depending on the temperature, so using the above preheat method, I can cut the preheat time to 3-4 minutes. Of course, I'd rather just remember to preheat while I'm cooking, but this trick can come in handy.

1 comment:

  1. This is a bad idea. The broil element will get the temperature sensor (the RTD is usually located at the top rear of the oven) artificially hot from the broil element. The bottom of your oven will still be cold, yet it will not call for heat. A short recipe will be ruined.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.