Saturday, April 24, 2010

How to Email a Text Message to a Tracfone

I find texting tedious. I think that thumbs are for the space bar, not every key on a cell phone's key pad. Be that as it may, texting is a useful thing. Sometimes I find that it is easier to type up an email and then send it to my phone (directions, shopping list, etc.). These days sending a text via email is getting pretty easy to do. For instance, in Yahoo! Mail you can send a text message just by clicking on the drop down box by "New" and select "Text Message." From there, you simply type in the 10 digit cell phone number you want to text, write your message and hit send. EASY! Unless you have a Tracfone (I do, by the way, and I really like it!) . . . I tried just typing in my Tracfone's number, writing a quick message and sending it. It could not be delivered. Well, I could not stand for this, so I found a way around it.

Tracfone uses a bunch of different carriers, depending on which part of the country you are and this is why my messages couldn't be delivered with just my number. But, all is not lost. This handy-dandy web site allows you to find out what carrier your Tracfone uses. Simply click on the link by "Tracfone," enter the Tracfone number you wish to learn about. The results will likely be some big carrier like Verizon, or in my case, AT&T. Now, knowing that, I go back to the said website to find out what my address is. Under AT&T, I find that the my address would be: phone#@txt.att.net This means, you basically have an email address for the cell phone. A handy thing to know, I think.

7 comments:

  1. I keep referring to this post. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! It will be awesome for home use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are welcome. I'm glad the links still works since I wrote this post a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. You can always use your tracfone to send a text to your email and from there you can see (the address line) what your tracfone's email address would be. That's probably the easiest thing to do.

      Delete
  5. the website link is dead, as of December 30, 2013..............

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.