Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Microwave Popcorn: From Scratch


I'm pretty sure we all know that microwave popcorn we buy from the store isn't very healthy, but it is so nice to be able to pop it in the microwave and have popcorn in a matter of seconds. Plus, have you ever tried popping popcorn the old fashioned way, on the stove top? I have, and I like to do it, but hot oil and little kids running around makes me anxious. So I wondered, can I make microwave popcorn on my own? Why of course!

After a quick search at my favorite recipe website, allrecipes.com, I found what I was looking for. All you need is a brown lunch sack, some popcorn kernels, oil and salt. Here's the link to the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Microwave-Popcorn/Detail.aspx
Here are some of my tips:

  • Stand the bag up in the microwave while it's cooking.
  • The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels. I cut the recipe in half and found that the bag was full enough just with half. I'm not sure I'd want to try to put too many more kernels in there.
  • After popping, transfer popcorn to a bowl and season more if necessary.

But, there!- An alternative to processed microwave popcorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.