Monday, February 1, 2010

Home Organization

I few days ago I wrote about a video I saw at Monkeysee.com on home organization and how it inspired me to get to work on organizing a place in my house that has needed it for a long time: our family message center, as professional organizer Janet Schiesl calls it. According to the video, a family message center includes a place to write messages for family members, a family calendar, phone list, and a family file. I have a small kitchen (limited counter space) so I wanted everything to be accessible, but hidden. Here's what I came up with:

The calendar is held by the those nifty 3M Command clips. The phone list is taped underneath, at a level that is accessible to my kids since it has emergency numbers. The pull out drawer has our family file (Office Depot purchase) and the phone books and other reference materials are in a magazine holder. On the counter we have the phone, next to it we have a container for writing utensils and scissors... and there is some scratch paper (that isn't visible) for taking messages.

The other day my husband was using the phone list to make a call and commented, "This is pretty handy." I second that. It was worth the trouble. I should have taken a "before" picture to compare to this... but it might have been too embarrassing anyway.

2 comments:

  1. THank you for sharing the photo. I just watched the video you are referring and saw your comment so wanted to check out your photo.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.