Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Saving Money on the Phone Bill

I've been getting the itch to turn my back on the phone company. When I think that we pay a modest $59 a month (tax included) for high speed internet and phone (with calling features), I think I shouldn't complain. I got a good deal, but the deal will run out in a few months. I can always call the company and ask for another good deal (I haven't ruled that out yet), but I could just find a way to get great rates all the time.

So, I did some looking online at my VoIP (voice-over internet protocol/digital phone) options. Originally, I figured the downside of VoIP options was the lack of 911 usage, but that has changed. Many carriers offer E911, in which you must register your number with your address. Another reason I've been squeamish about switching to digital phone: I didn't want to change my phone number. In many instances now days, you don't have to! Here's a helpful website that compares a few different options: http://www.consumersearch.com/voip/best-voip-services
The article goes over such regular VoIP providers like Skype, Vonage, the local cable co, Phone Power! and Ooma (If you haven't heard of this, it's pretty iteresting). I learned a lot from it, and it is definitely making me reconsider the digital phone option.

If you currently use VoIP service, please post a comment about your experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.