Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Re-sizing an Image in Picasa


I'm not really into having a bunch of programs on my computer that I rarely use. So last time I reformatted my computer I left a few programs off my installation list. One of them was a photo editing program that hogged too much RAM. I didn't really miss it until I tried to resize a photo (so that it would be small enough to view on the web). I knew how to do it with full-fledged image editing software, but now all I have is Google's Picasa. So, I wanted to make due, rather than install another program. There are 2 ways to make due. If you just want to re-size it to send an email, follow the instructions below. If you want to re-size the photo or a bunch of photos to save and for uploading to the web later, follow the second set of instructions.


How to Re-size an Image/Photo in Picasa, Option 1:

The easiest way to do this is to select the photo you want to re-size and then select the "email" button on the bottom menu. When you do this, Picasa will automatically re-size the photo for the web. (If you want to tinker with those default settings, you just go to the "Tools" --> "Options" --> click the "Email" tab and adjust the pixels.) You will be prompted to pick an email account with which to email. Your Google account will obviously be one of the choices. The other choice will be something like Outlook or Thunderbird if you have an email client on your computer. Select the email account and send your email. The photo will already be attached and re-sized.

Option 2:

If you don't want to email a photo, but want it re-sized and saved in different location, select the photo(s) you wish to re-size. If selecting multiple photos, hold down the "control" button on your keyboard as you make your selections with your mouse. Once you have selected your photos, click on the "Export" button at the bottom of the window. From here you will be prompted to save the files in a folder of your choosing, as well as the size at which you would like them saved. (The default setting is 480 pixels which is fine for web viewing, but you can change it if you like.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.