Monday, November 30, 2009

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix


Now that the Turkey is moving out of your system, here's a really easy recipe to warm you up on the cold mornings ahead. It's from the Food Network's Alton Brown and one of the best recipes I have found yet... though I still do tweak it a bit.

Hot Cocoa

2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (Dutch process preferred)
1 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Hot water

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. Mix 3-4 tablespoons of mix with hot water or milk.

My alterations: I used Hershey's Cocoa because that's the best I could find at the grocery store. I'm hoping to try the Dutch stuff, though as I'm sure it would affect the flavor. I leave out the cayenne pepper because I don't want to hunt through my spices for it. I also add 1 cup more of powdered sugar. I have also crushed up some candy canes (1/4 cup) and added it to the mix for a minty taste. If add candy canes, I don't add the extra powdered sugar.

Homemade hot cocoa would make a nice homemade Christmas gift if you've got the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.