Wednesday, November 11, 2009

DIY Bathtub Scrub: The Joys of Baking Soda

Back in July I posted a link about making your own non-toxic cleaning kit. Since then I've been trying out some of the tips. Today, I'd like to highlight one of my favorite tips from that link: Creamy Soft Scrubber. I hate scrubbing bathtubs and sinks. I don't like the powder scrubs like Comet because I think they stinks (really, the smell bugs me). But, to effectively scrub, it is good to have some sort of mild abrasive. Enter baking soda

Creamy Soft Scrubber
Baking soda
liquid soap
vegetable glycerin (optional)

Directions: For the bathtub or sink, just use a teaspoon or two of baking soda and then add some liquid soap (I used Dawn liquid soap as it is my favorite) until it makes a paste. Then, using a wet cloth, scrub the the area. Rinse with water.

So, why not just use baking soda? The soap helps remove oils left by lotions, shampoo, other cleansers.

I have been washing our shower pan and bathtub with this concoction weekly. It's very easy to do and requires very little elbow grease. Since I like this cleaning recipe so much, I should go ahead and have it premixed. That will require the final optional ingredient of vegetable glycerin to keep the concoction homogeneous. I have been to lazy to find it. Soon, I will be sufficiently motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.