Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Winter Squash Prep/Cooking Tips


I love winter squash! I don't like trying to make it edible. I don't like how long it takes to cook it in the oven. I don't like peeling it. I don't like cutting it.

Tip for cutting:
Squash is easier to cut when it's been nuked in the microwave for 5-10 minutes depending on it's size. Before you microwave it, pierce it with a fork a few times. The downside to this method is that you have to wait until it cools to cut it. The upside is that when you are ready to bake it, it will take less time.

Tip for peeling, cutting, and cooking all at once!:
My most favorite way to cook squash is in a pressure cooker. Here's a helpful link for pressure cooking squash: http://missvickie.com/howto/veggies/wintersquashtypes.htm
You can plop the whole thing in (if it will fit) without having to do any cutting or piercing. Once the pressure cooker gets up to pressure, it takes 6-8 minutes to cook (again, depends on the size). It takes even less time to cook it if you cut it into chunks if that's your thing. Once the squash cooks for the recommended amount of time, run the cooker under cold water to release the pressure. Remove the lid, allow to cool to the point where you can touch it without burning yourself. Remove the squash, cut it in half, remove the seeds and use in your favorite recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.