Saturday, September 26, 2009

Time to Wash Your Smelly Washing Machine?

Ever since we moved into our home, the washing machine had a funky mildew smell. I wasn't sure how to get rid of it, so I just shut the lid on it, and forgot about it. Then, last week when I had a cold and noticed that despite my congestion, I could still smell the unpleasant odor while I was doing laundry, I had to see if there was something I could do. I came across a recipe for cleaning top-loading dishwashers: 2 cups cascade (I just used my no-name brand stuff) and 2 cups of bleach. You just set your washer to wash at full capacity with hot water and pour in the dishwasher detergent and bleach. Let the washer agitate for a few minutes and then stop it and let it soak for 15+mins. Then let the washer finish the cycle.

I went ahead and tried this bit of washing advice on my machine. I also did a nice wipe down of all the areas of the machine that I could get to (crevices in between the tub and lid). I can now breath again, and no longer smell that funky smell when I do the laundry! Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.