Friday, August 14, 2009

Tangrams For Fun & Learning


I was at the dollar store the other day and happened to snag a set of 4 Tangram puzzles for my kids. We broke out the Tangrams today and had a fun time. I was thinking my 6 and 4 year old were too young to really enjoy these. I was wrong. My 6 year old could do them on his own and my 4 year old enjoyed "helping" me find the right shapes to make the different puzzles. There are oodles of educational aspects of Tangrams. They are so versatile too, from simple to complex. But mostly, they are just plain fun.

Of course, you don't need to buy Tangrams. (They can be outrageously priced.) You can make your own. Or you can just play them on the computer.

One adaptation I would make to Tangrams for little children would be to make them adhere to something. For instance, sticking a strip of magnet on the back of card stock or foam pieces, and playing with them on the fridge or a cookie sheet... or making them with flannel and using a flannel board. Or, if you are handy with wood, make the Tangram out of wood! I wish I were handy with wood!!! Hmmm. Anyway, these are some ideas I had for keeping the pieces from sliding while little children make the puzzles.

If you have finished reading this post and have no idea what you just read, click here to read up on Tangrams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.