Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Google 411 Review


I have mentioned Google 411 before, but now I've actually tried it. I LOVE it! Google 411 is essentially free directory assistance.

Google 411 comes in very handy when you don't want to take time to find a certain business in the phone book. You know how phone books are. The Yellow Pages are hit and miss with different books... and sometimes you don't even know the name of business you need... other times a business may have opened within the last year and therefore not yet be listed in the phone book yet. All of these instances are when Google 411 is very helpful.

How it works:
1. Dial: 1-800-GOOG-411 on any phone.
2. You will be warned that the call will be recorded. (This is because Google is trying to take over the world. If this doesn't bother you continue. BTW, it doesn't bother me. Don't believe me? Read this article.)
3. You will be prompted to name the company name/category and city and state.
4. Say the city and state again, for QC, I guess. (Make sure you don't have a background noise issue...if you do, you can type in the name using your keypad, but that's tedious. Not recommended.)
5. You'll hear your city and state repeated by Google's Big Brother computer on the other end. Next you'll be prompted to state the business name/category again.
6. If there is only one result, you have the opportunity to be connected or to hear the company's details (phone and address of company). If there is more than one result, you get to pick from the list.

I've already used this 3 times in the last two days. It's my new phone book. I'm terrible with alphabetical order, and this is the closest thing to a servant I'll probably ever have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.