Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Aluminum Foil in the Dryer to Prevent Static?

I ran out of dryer sheets this week... and I'm not about to make an unscheduled trip to the store. So, time to improvise. I read about putting a ball of aluminum foil in the dryer to prevent static on some message boards and in forums. I also read about making some fabric softener from hair conditioner, vinegar, and water. The foil idea was fastest, so I figured I'd try it first.

Foil: Tried it.
Results: I didn't notice that any static control. My clothes stuck together the same as they usually do when I don't use dryer sheets. I live in a dry climate and I'm not sure if that has something to do with my failed attempt. Anyone ever tried this? How much foil do you use? I just made a ball of foil about with about a 2 inch radius. Anyway, I don't think I'll be doing this again. I felt pretty silly pulling a ball of foil out of the dryer. My kids wanted to know what it was doing in there...

DIY Fabric Softener: Made it, going to try it. I made a very small about of the recipe because I wasn't about to waste 2 cups of conditioner on something that may or may not work.
Results: Will be posted next time I do laundry... most likely in a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.