Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hot/Cold Pack

I came across this very smart idea for a hot/cold pack that takes minutes to make almost a year ago. After having used it for various ailments, and finding it quite handy, I feel confident to endorse it (not that my endorsement counts for much).

Materials:

1 Clean, long mens sock (just use the one that didn't get lost in the dryer)
2-3 Cups of white rice (You could use brown, but it's expensive stuff for stuffing into a sock)
1 Plastic freezer bag

After you have sufficiently purged the sock of all offending substances and odors, fill it up about half full with rice. Tie a knot at the opening. BAM! No sewing. DONE!

Instructions:
Place the sock (which is now a hot/cold pack) in the freezer bag and store it in the freezer. The reason I put it in a freezer bag first: experience has taught me that the sock will absorb all sorts of strange freezer odor unless it's in a freezer bag. When you need a cold pack, break the sock out of the freezer bag and use. When you need a hot pack, take the sock out of the freezer bag and nuke it in the microwave until it's reached the desired temperature. For my microwave, that's about 2-3 minutes.

What's great about this pack:
  • malleable, forms to the shape you need it
  • Soft on the outside
  • The weight of the rice helps keep it in place when in use
  • When the rice isn't doing it's job anymore, you can just untie the knot empty it out, and refill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.