Thursday, July 30, 2009

Beer Summit

Okay, I wasn't going to touch this story... but now that it's way out of hand, I have to join the fun. For the record, I don't drink. I also think racism gets fuel when we keep talking about it and point out the differences in our skin color. Next, I must admit, I haven't been under President Obama's spell since the beginning. Those are my biases.

If you haven't heard, President Obama invited Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and the Police Sgt. Jim Crowley over to his place for beer to heal the firestorm he ignited when he said the police acted "stupidly" when they arrested Mr. Gates. Of course, the media is having a field day with this. Beer? Because beer heals all ills? What??? I'm sure that Bud Light (the President's favorite bear) is going to cash in on this!

Here's what the President said over the new media frenzy:

“I am, I have to say, fascinated about the fascination with this evening,” Obama told reporters during an Oval Office meeting with the president of the Philippines.

“I noticed this has been called the beer summit,” Obama said. “It’s a clever term but this is not a summit, guys. This is three folks having a drink at the end of the day and hopefully giving people an opportunity to listen to each other. And that’s all it is.”

“This is not a university seminar,” said Obama. “It’s an opportunity to have some personal interaction when an issue has become so hyped and so symbolic that you lose sight of just the fact that these are people involved, including myself. All of whom are imperfect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.