Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Traveling with Kids: Road Trip!

We are getting ready to take a 10 hour road trip (one way) with our kids. Insane, yes. It has to be done. Family must be visited once in a while! We've done this before, but that was when there were just 2 kids; now we've got double that. So, it's a whole new experience.

As is my routine when attempting something new, I turn to the internet. Here's a nice link on road trip ideas from real people.

http://www.wejustgotback.com/default.aspx?mod=tips_road

Three ideas in particular stuck out to me. One is free directory assistance from Google. I didn't know that existed (apparently it's been around for almost 2 years!). And how cool is that when you are in a new place? Just dial 1-800-GOOG-411. I'm sure we'll find reason to use this while we're gone. Check out a video to illustrate how it works at: http://www.google.com/goog411/

The other idea I really liked is to use cookie sheets/roll pans (the kind with sides) as lap boards for your kids. They contain their play things because they have sides, plus they can use magnets on them, and would serve as a nice try to eat food too. I'm going to try this. I'm heading to the dollar store to pick up a couple of these. I don't want to use my cooking ones since it would take hours to get the baked-on grease of of them.

I downloaded free audio stories from Storynory and put them on CDs for the kids to listen to as well.

Of course we have a DVD player that will come in handy, but kids get cranky if they watch too much of anything, so for us, the DVD player is a last resort to get an extra hour or two of driving if we must.

I'll be sure to report back and with what worked.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked our tip sheet on road trips with kids. Be sure to check out WeJustGotBack.com's other road trip articles this month. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.