Monday, June 22, 2009

Road Trip Follow Up

My two week hiatus is over. We survived our road trip. We actually had a pretty good time, all 6 of us in the van for hours and hours. Here's how we survived:

  • Storynory mp3s
  • Coloring books and crayons
  • One toy to play with
  • Dvd player
  • Rest stops every two- three hours to eat and empty
I could have had the dvd player on the whole time and my kids probably would not have protested, but I don't really go for that. Besides, I can imagine my kids fighting over what dvd to watch, so the DVD player is not the cure all.

For us, what really helped were the frequent breaks. We scheduled our stops in towns where we could find a park and have a picnic or where we knew some friends to visit with. We also looked for points of interest along the way to check out. For instance, on our way back, we stopped at Independence Rock in WY.

Our kids are still pretty young, so games in the car don't go over very well. But, they all really enjoyed listening to some mp3s from Storynory that my hubby burned on a cd.

In the next few posts, I'll highlight a couple of cool places we went to on our trip (aside from visiting family. Family is cool too!) for some great budge vacation ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.