Monday, May 25, 2009

Strawberry Jam Sans Pectin

Strawberries were on sale this week. So, naturally, I stocked up to make some jam. I made jam three different ways. It was an experiment. I don't like really lumpy jam, and neither do my husband or children, so I wanted to try making it less lumpy; contrary to the pectin's directions. The pectin's directions say to mash it with a potato masher. I don't even own one of those. I put my fruit in the blender and then set it on pulse, chopping it into little pieces so that it was a step away from being pureed. I made freezer jam and cooked jam like this with the pectin. Both turned out just fine. . . but I wasn't completely satisfied. . .


Cooked jam is always a little too solid for my liking... even my less lumpy jam. I was hoping for a more spreadable jam. And why not try making it without pectin? A Google search later and I came up with a recipe for Strawberry Jam from allrecipes.com. This recipe seemed to be almost perfect for me, except the sugar content. The recipe calls for equal parts of sugar and fruit.

I made the jam according to the recipe except I left out one cup of sugar. The results were perfect: smooth, spreadable, and delicious! At first I didn't think the jam would set because it was quite runny. I stuck it in the fridge cool. After cooling, it set to a nice, soft set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.