Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Slowing Down the Junk Mail


I'm not a fanatical environmentalist, but I would like to think that I certainly try to do what I can, within reason to take care of this world I live in. We live in a place that doesn't have many options for recycling; I have to hunt down places that will take my paper and cardboard to recycle. Plastic recycling isn't even an option. So, it's not easy for me to recycle. I do it anyway. I don't like throwing things out, so I try not to get things into my possession that I might not use long.

... Which brings me to junk mail. We used to get a ton of pre-screen credit offers. I hated receiving this wasted paper, not to mention the wasted time it takes to get rid of it. So, I opted out of the pre-screened credit offers and had my husband do the same. At optoutprescreen.com, you can opt out of these offers one of two ways: online (keeps you off the list for five years) or via snail mail (opt out forever, or until you opt back in). We opted out via mail. It took a couple of months before we noticed a reduction in our junk mail. We no longer receive credit offers in the mail.

I have to admit, I hesitated to opt out because I have applied for credit once using an offer that did come in the mail. So, what if I missed another great offer? And, I know this is really silly, but I'd much rather see my mail box filled with a few lame credit offers than completely empty. Alas, many a days my mail box is now empty. As far as missing a great credit offer, if I ever really want to get back on the pre-screen credit list, I can just opt back in, using the same website. I doubt I ever will.

So, opt out, save paper, save time, and you may even save yourself some money (think of the credit you never used!). Now, if I could just figure out how to stop Direct TV from sending me offers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.