Saturday, May 23, 2009

1984 and Other Classics I Don't Like

I think there is something terribly wrong with me. I never read 1984 in high school or in college. Somehow I escaped it. I never tried to. So, when my husband brought home some books from the library book sale, with the intent that we read them and keep what we like, 1984 was among them. It being the shortest of the pile, it was among the first that I read.

The whole time I read it, I kept coming back to the same question: I'm sure that George Orwell (I know that's just a pen name) is a great guy, so what provoked him to think of such horrid things? If you're expecting a scholarly review of this book, you're in the wrong place. I just wanted to say that I didn't like it. I enjoy political thought and the political thought in this book is pretty deep, if you can get passed all the gore and immorality.

Anyway, The list of books I have read and don't like is rather short because I normally will quit a book I don't like rather than finish it. It's not worth my time to torture myself in that way. I tortured myself with 1984. It's a classic, so I figured that it would be worth it. But there just ended up being too much immorality and violence for me that it really made it hard for me to focus on the actual point of the book. I kept reading because I kept hoping that there would be something good in it, some glimmer of hope. I came up with nothing, right down to the last sentence. I do have to hand it to Mr. Orwell, I did keep reading it.

So, the thing that's terribly wrong with me is that I read and did not like 1984. It goes on my:

LIST OF BOOKS I HAVE READ AND DON'T LIKE
1. The Great Gatsby
2. Of Mice and Men
3. 1984

*These are in no particular order.

You see? There is something wrong with me. I think I'm going to read Empire Express next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love a discussion. If you plan on including a link in your comment, make it appropriate. I will not post comments that include links that I think may be malicious.